Thursday, April 12, 2007

Oh, Those Ladybugs!


Oh, those ladybugs! They like white walls, they like to be warm and they swarm and collect by the hundreds. During the day they are everywhere; crawling up your coffee cup, landing on the rim of your glasses, the book you are reading, and on the table where you are paying bills. At night, they disappear--only to seemingly multiply and reappear the next day. They have infiltrated Floyd County, they have infiltrated my house. If you don't have them, then I must have your fair share. Feel free to come over and take some home by the bucket load.

Supposedly they are a beneficial insect, if we could just get them to go back outside. Certainly they came from that direction, right? Meanwhile, I do as a friend suggested. I vacuum the dead ladybug bodies and let the ones that are alive, live to crawl another day.

To read more about the wonderful MALB (Multicolored Asian Lady Beetles) go here.

2 comments:

Mother of Invention said...

I'm taking a wee bite of dark chocolate even though I'm diabetic because I just can't resist!
Thanks for visiting my site. I think you will love blogging..it's just a neat place to express what's rolling around inside you and even neater when you actually get feedback!

I've heard such great things about Floyd, I know you are lucky to live there. It is a place where my creativity in writing and perhaps music could really flourish. I did write the music and lyrics to a song I recorded in a studio and posted it Sat. Jan. 27th, with the words and pictures of me in the studio,and it's the one that plays when you go on my blog. Was a highlight for me.

We had those ladybugs a few years ago and they really stung when they bit! Maybe they just flew down there from up in Canada!

Anonymous said...

I know people around here (Boston) who buy ladybugs through the mail to help their gardens grow. Maybe you could start shipping them north.